I’m so excited for Halloween it’s not even funny. I have ZERO plans. I’m not dressing up as anything. I’m not even going to any parties. I have absolutely no plans whatsoever, apart from to buy as many Halloween-themed candies that the store has to offer and watch every single scary movie I can get my hands on.
Speaking of which, did you see my last his n’ hers Halloween-themed blog post talking all about scary movies?
I’m moving on to music this time around, bringing you all the songs safely waiting in my Halloween music playlist for the time it’s considered socially acceptable to start playing them.
When is it socially acceptable to start playing Halloween music, anyway?
My Halloween Music Playlist – The Essentials
- Somebody’s Watching Me – Rockwell
- Bat Out of Hell – Meatloaf
- Night of the Vampire – Roky Erickson
- Go to Hell – Megadeth
- Witchcraft – Frank Sinatra
- Runnin’ With the Devil – Van Halen
- Black Magic Woman – Santana
- Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) – David Bowie
- Burn the Witch – Queens of the Stone Age
- E.T. – Katy Perry & Kanye West
- Black Magic – Little Mix
- Black Number 1 – Type O Negative
- Thriller – Michael Jackson
- Werewolves of London – Warren Zevon
- Ghostbusters – Ray Parker Jr.
- Monster Mash – Bobby Pickett
- Dig Up Her Bones – The Misfits
- Backstreet’s Back – Backstreet Boys
- Time Warp – Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield
- Zombie – The Cranberries
- The X-Files TV show theme tune
- Devil Woman – Cliff Richard (for my Nan)
- Monster – Nicki Minaj (+ crew)
- The Addams Family TV show theme tune
- Poison – Alice Cooper
- Amityville – Eminem
- Silent Hill theme tune
- Phantasm theme tune
- Jaws theme tune
- Frankenstein – Overkill (My fella’s suggestion)
My Halloween Music Playlist – Spooky (ish) Songs
- Get Ur Freak On – Missy Elliot
- My Plague – Slipknot
- Closer – Nine Inch Nails (Not conventionally Halloweenie, but I LOVE it.)
- Bad Romance – Lady Gaga
- Disturbia – Rihanna
- Tribute – Tenacious D (I don’t really know why, but it feels like it just belongs on the list!)
- Aerials – System of a Down
- Bring Me Back to Life – Evanescence
- Black Woman Magic – Fleetwood Mac
- Freak on a Leash – Korn
- Plug in Baby – Muse (I love all Muse, so add Origin of Symmetry and Absolution entire albums to the list)
- Killer Queen – Queen
- Raining Blood – Slayer
- Beautiful Monster – Ne Yo
- The Number of the Beast – Iron Maiden
- Hungry Like the Wolf – Duran Duran
- The Show Must Go On – Queen (because it’s theatrical as hell!)
- Cannibal – Kesha
- Tainted Love – Marilyn Manson (In fact, let’s just add EVERYTHING by Marilyn Manson to the list.)
- Creep – Radiohead
- Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath
- Superstitious – Stevie Wonder
My Halloween Music Playlist – Albums
Hocus Pocus Soundtrack
If you’re not watching Hocus Pocus the very second the clock strikes midnight on October 1st, you’re just not doing it right. Even before I was a Halloween junkie Hocus Pocus was one of my favourite ever movies, mostly because I had a bit of crush on wee Zachary Binx. The human version of him, obviously; not the cat version.
Bette Midler’s version of I Put a Spell On You will FOREVER be my favourite Halloween tune. I also love the Nina Simone version of it.
Queen of the Damned Soundtrack
This entire album is beyond brilliant. I discovered the movie a few years after everyone else did, but the music captivated me right from the word go. My favourites are Down with the Sickness by Disturbed, and Headstrong by Earshot. Not particularly Halloweenie, admittedly, but still great background music for any spooky-themed party.
Any Muse Album
I just think there are spooky, weird undertones to pretty much all of Muse’s earlier music. Not so much the more recent stuff, though. Origin of Symmetry is one of my Apple library album must-haves.
What do you think? It’s a pretty weird and eclectic mix of songs, right? I like a bit of everything, not pigeonholing myself into just one music genre-hole. My music library is a weird and wonderful mix of pretty much every type of music you could think of, and then some.
Do you agree (or disagree) with any of the songs or albums I’ve added to this list? If you think I’ve missed a couple of absolutely essential Halloween-themed music out, feel free to shout out below. You can get in touch via the powers of social media, too. I can’t wait to hear what you think!